Saturday, July 9, 2011

Days of Pain -3

It simply happened, like one happens
to get pregnant or be president,

Don’t put it all on me for why you keep me in this place,
you promised not to hold me here last night, a dirty trick,

Just because I say I want to jump off of the roof
doesn’t mean I’d actually do it, you should know that,

And just because I sometimes like to trip balls when I’m high
just means I sometimes make some bad decisions.

Don’t you have some people more in need of help
you have to save? I’ll only let you down like I’ve done

Everyone. I ratted out my mother’s boyfriend,
I probably raped the first girl that I loved. What about you

With that embarrassed look, don’t try to fix me,
don’t you have some demons all your own?

Can you tell me 'bout the way things make you feel?
With no one understanding? The world a disappointing nest of greed?

I know what that is like, just talk to me some more,
anything is better than the silence in this room,

I know about the secrets, the stuff you keep from me,
the evidence you’ll use to lock me up,

But I can get away, I’m Harry slick Houdini,
there isn’t any cage I can’t escape,

And I can live inside the woods or in the ghetto,
done that since my mother kicked me out at age 14

That winter night without a suitcase
because she loved me, and I was worthless,

So I had to prove her wrong, that I was strong
so she would take me back. She never would,

Just calling every day because she worried,
the one who bore me, to whom I owe my life.

But that’s not very interesting to you I know,
I know you’re paid to keep me peaceful

But how can I be, when no one sees the shadow people
who live on so much less than spoiled me?

They've lost their minds, their hope, their families,
and no one cares. I don’t deserve your pity

But a cigarette might do me. I hear that
there’s a packie down the street.

Just kiddin’, friend, is your shift about to end?
You remind me of my father, he may come to pick me up,

Maybe you and I can go out fishing, there’s a place that
no one knows, where the fluke and stripers jump onto your line,

The ocean goes a million miles from there,
on a clear day it’s like heaven - boundless, wordless love

And the distance doesn’t seem like it is there.