Monday, January 27, 2020

5150 Under the Freeway

Matters of life and death
Stand in for more important things;

The barbeque sauce with my fries 
Feels like strychnine,

For all the real wounds are covered and salved,
None ever find articulation,

Just a lancet to distribute
The broken bread of pain

That comes in this ringing phone
To remind me how much I want to feel alone

-- Your voice -- again -- to echo the poet
Her avocational hazard of Hamlet's madness 

For understanding what can never be
And getting lost before what is---

Your clarification is plain how I am wrong
But an army of innuendo comes dancing along

Like wine unstopped after a hundred years,
The stuffed down juice become a stark

Acerbic bitterness your tongue can judge to a distance
With the other things that never needed to exist,

Whose diapers I change and mollify cries
Nursing nightmares that I have abandoned them

When they made me feel abandoned
As another rode in on a dead stare.

I apologize, now, to the air.
Knowledge has spread into every cell

But the things we've never talked about
Still aren't discussed;

It's cruel to call out cruelty, wrong to point out wrong,
To bend the direction of what needs to long that way...

But there's a chord your words recall
That suspends with a gasp in my craw

To a quivering silence, where the truth would 
Reach out in reply

To words leaping like inebriating rockets
For a moment's disposable ash

All to drown out the hiss of the fuse
That continues its inexorable course

Coldly and as calm
As planets turn and galaxies explode.