Wednesday, July 31, 2019

The Limits of Language

There are no words in this world
               Yet I persist
      In feeling it
In the only way I know
      The black external mark

That calls the what is not
      To the not what I am
And an essence from a sleeping realm
             Shows itself
      By whispering "that is wrong"

And indeed those tawny wisps of grass
      Can barely without words exist
The palms so tall and foreign
      Without my voice
              Cannot be sensed

Without becoming so distant
       The sensing itself is strange
As if the world is freed
       At the point of non-being
              Where it refuses to exist

Not in the words I spoke into the darkness
       But somewhere else
               Impossibly far
But known somehow
       In all its particulars

Its silence forced me to reappear
       In the sun-translucent leaves
                The bee investigations
       The purple buds withholding
                Any future