Monday, September 16, 2019

Memories of a Blue Jay

There was only the past
As there is only the past
Of blooming tulip trees
And powder blue skies
The marbled balustrades
Around the Georgian facades
Too hallowed for anyone to walk
And no one touched the tower clock
Where the Humanities resides
And held its secret bell

Veritas vos liberabit
Indeed it did
In a long catapult
To oblivion
Nobody lied
There were no promises
But all I can see
In my grieving
Is betrayal
I can’t go back there

The years that have passed
The life I now have
The lack of an
Alternative future
None of that has an answer
To the bells
That I can’t remember
If they ever rung

Why did I flee
Squawking blue jay
This nest at the first
Opportunity?
To step down into
The desperate city
As if that was where
The geniuses hid
In the places of pain and no distinction
For that’s in fact where they were