Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Odes by Hölderlin: Now I hear the warning...

Now I hear the warning, they smiled at me and thought,
    Before we were ensnared, because he would not show us, the door.
And they paid no heed to what was gained...

Sing, O just sing to me, ominous prophecies, your terror,
    Gods of fate, the song rung round and round the ear.
At last I am yours, I know it, but I want to fit in
    Before my life and glory are captured.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hört ich die Warnenden itzt...

Hört ich die Warnenden itzt, sie lächelten meiner und dächten,
   Früher anheim uns fiel, weil er uns scheute, der Tor.
Und sie achtetens keinen Gewinn, ...
...
Singt, o singet mir nur, unglückweissagend, ihr Furchtbarn,
   Schicksalsgötter, das Lied immer und immer ums Ohr.
Euer bin ich zuletzt, ich weiß es, doch will zuvor ich
   Mir gehören und mir Leben erbeuten und Ruhm.