Thursday, July 28, 2016

Odes by Hölderlin: The Homeland

Happy comes the skipper in the still stream home
    Far-flung island borne, his harvest gathered in;
          Perhaps I'd return to the homeland again;
              But what have I harvested but pain? -

You lovely shores, that brought me up,
    Can you ease her love suffering? Ah, you
Woods, that give of my youth when I come,
          Can you give her some peace once again?

-------------------------------------------------------------
Die Heimat

Froh kehrt der Schiffer heim an den stillen Strom
    Von fernen Inseln, wo er geerntet hat;
          Wohl möcht' auch ich zur Heimat wieder;
               Aber was hab' ich, wie Leid, geerntet? -

Ihr holden Ufer, die ihr mich auferzogt,
     Stillt ihr der Liebe Leiden? ach! gebt ihr mir,
          Ihr Wälder meiner Kindheit, wann ich
               Komme, die Ruhe noch Einmal wieder?