Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Pat's Atonement

I sat below an overhang in the wash,
     perfection of cholla
.    went uninterrupted 
               through the whisper grass 
As I tried to figure
               what the rocks had to say.

     It gave me a reason
     to exist
The needs of people 
           didn't.

She came quietly, with a smile
      took my hands
And told me of her alcoholic father,
      who could not stop
      for the family sprouting up
                 around his glass,

How she wanted to fix him,
      tried to fix me instead.

Six years on one side, six years
      on the other,
I never came closer 
      to an apology.

Yet all I could think about
      was the way the roots held
                the stones in place,
How happy I was that she
      had come all this way
                to share it.