Sunday, August 2, 2020

A Singular Cricket in the Heart of Things

The crickets were created
     To carry a thought,
As I, who hears their song,
     Was created.

I leap into their heads as they
     Jump onto the grass,
To see, know, experience
     What they are.

They are a part of me now
     As my spirit grows
To oversee the neighborhood
     Like an electric bulb

With thoughts of love brought from the moon
     And Jupiter,
The languid palms, the cool August laughter
     Next to beach fires.

But there is a voice with a cry
     That echoes and recoils,
For it denies what I know
     And who I am,

And I want to cup my ears in disbelief
     With my hands,
For the alien has gotten in
     And I am lonely

Again, smaller than the eyes in
     Darkness hiding
From a world that only turns at a distance,
     Impossible to understand.