Monday, June 15, 2020

Thoughts in a Rocker

How did I get to be so old
     And barely born
To see things form without an
     Understanding?
New faces and strange words,
     Paradigms collapsing,
Secrets held in a smile,
     Love in eyes.

These songs are all foreign to me,
     In new keys that seem
Like ones I used to know
     In another lifetime,
Where a smaller mind gave itself
     To another childhood
Spent in the rapture of musical figures,
     Harmonious beasts.

I have lived through every plot,
     Heard each chord resolve,
Yet surprised when the movies
     Appear before my eyes
Disguised as real life, with neighbors
     In roles
And children playing games once reserved
     For heroes.

The things I know have settled naturally
     Into the dust.
The hands reach out to say I'm here
     To learn something,
You cannot spend this life swaying
     In the breeze.
The ground must fall away
     So you can fly.