Saturday, June 13, 2020

Chiron in the Morning

There never was closure
     When that door closed,
Only the silence of my mind
     Taking bets with itself,
Do I win? Do I lose?
     Only the country song
Knew for sure. Nothing had changed
     And nothing could.

Yet I stand before you now
     A transformed man,
With thoughts I'd never imagined
     In the old elan
Where I hobnobbed with hobgoblins
     And painted the house
That shade of red erasure where the pain
     Became finality.

Now I walk heart in hand
     On the dunes shaped like hips,
Too taken to withstand
     The allure that commands
The giddy peace of companionship
     Forever innocent
Of condition or occasion for an end
     In hearts each day re-turned.

Yet this blessed separation persists
     In the different-tinted sky
And cities illumined like crystals
     In our eyes,
The unspoken in the silence
     Adds that smoky note,
What some would call the centaur's wound,
     Love's constance, never lost.