Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Words Again


Too much has been said.
           Will my last breath
Redeem words that were,
           when they understood,
Unfeeling, parsimonious
but voluminous, mellifluous
When I didn’t have a clue
of the damage I could do
Where silent people lived?

How could one be wrong so many times
            unless convinced that he was right?
And think that insight could be held inside a line
            like a shadow holds a branch
When everything’s already known,
            it’s just some children finding out?
Perhaps their smile is not the one
            that says they’re first to shore,
Perhaps it’s just a look of joy
            when trees give way
And the vista appears,

But it's a vista that’s so far away
            for what is needed here:
To receive an ice cream cone from someone,
            to prove that I’m not what they say,
To tell what I did, how it happened,
            who I am.