Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Villanelle of Halloween Decorations


Because I looked outside I’m all alone
The otherness I feared was always mine
I turned away from heaven for these bones

The mystery of love was like a stone
I gave my heart to entrails and to signs
Because I looked outside I’m all alone

The skulls survive in dust-soft combat zones
To wait to take as flesh the other side
I turned away from heaven for these bones

The divine was everything I wished to own
I could not comprehend another guide
Because I looked outside I’m all alone

I chose to join the savage, bitter moans
For I have lacked the love to trust the night
I turned away from heaven for these bones

The choices all resolve to one clear tone
The weight of earth dividing from the light
Because I looked outside I’m all alone
I turned away from heaven for these bones

4 comments:

Jack said...

To me, the point of a villanelle is to create multiple meanings with the refrain, which you obviously, gloriously did.

Stanzas three and six were--and this came to mind immediately--so kick-ass.

the walking man said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
the walking man said...

Decorations Halloween or other all have some pagan root but then *shrug* I personally don't understand them who just go crazy for it all. Oh dude..man if you can't trust the night how in the world can you trust the day when all the real spooky shit happens?

Hannah Stephenson said...

Wow! Friggin' awesome villanelle!