Thursday, December 31, 2009

Epiphany at the Turn of the Year


The sajuaro at the top of the mountain
Knows I am looking at him.
He is in that spot for a reason.
He may not see the valley, sun-loved
Or hear the wren sing to him a song of love,
But he connects the sun, and all that lies beyond, to me,
And this spot in my heart becomes as mild as this day,
A gentle breeze and soothing sun
My heart and mind this time -

The swirling of the palms
Like the turning of the pages on this year,
Each leaf is gently thumbed with love,
Each new one sprung from joy -

And maybe what the birds say
Isn't different from my words;
We've not forgotten the storms,
We've not forgotten we're free
But still we celebrate as if this moment is our eternity -

We fall into a stillness
That includes all of the universe
Inside us.