Sunday, July 22, 2007

Thoughts at Nineteen

There must not be an outside world,
'Cos when I ask, nobody answers me.
This here and now, with its dull corners and dissolving integrity
How could it earn from me but contempt for what could have been?
How can the world that doesn't see me expect to be seen?
And if they can't see what I know
–Those whose years have blinded them to truth–
Let them follow my breadcrumbs of these half-opened boxes
All the way up the broken-down mountaintop,
Where I will wait with all their stolen regalia
To show how silly it was to hold onto it, or to ignore me.

Do they not know that none of this is real?
That our limbs, our hearts, our brains
Will soon be replaced by machine parts?
There's nothing to fear from dying to this,
Always eyes are watching
To pounce what really matters and burn the dross.
Human history, so useless to study
A descending arc of stupidity
And dreams that came to naught –
We are finally ready to correct
The scolds who told us what we could and couldn’t do.

If I want to tell some swami he’s only a man as flawed as any, I can
The only thing stopping me is the truth of it.
My life has never been lived before,
And those who hide behind society’s denials to deny this
Are just jealous they didn’t live their own.
There’s no limit to what I can do,
I am not a useless maggot.
These people who look at me with hungry eyes,
Who seem to have something to say but say nothing,
Let them prove their experience matters;
It’s a new game, they can no longer fool me,
There’s nothing I haven’t learned already.